Summer can be the perfect time to help teenagers & college students be their healthiest, happiest selves!
Acupuncture for tweens, teens and college students
Teenagers transitioning to college in 2020 were among the hardest hit by the stress of the pandemic. Never would they have anticipated that their college experience would have played out the way it did. We are helping so many teens with the stress, anxiety & depression that although common pre-pandemic, has become nothing short of a pandemic in it's own right. We feel so strongly about trying to get these teens in the door, because we've seen firsthand how much it can help!
If your pre-teen or teenager is struggling, please consider acupuncture. It's a powerful body-mind medicine that can truly help regulate hormonal imbalances and calm the body's stress response! Also the herbs and supplements that we carry to help with stress are a great first resort before trying western medicines!
We know that teens can often be resistant to coming for treatment, but within a few sessions we often see significant changes and in most cases they really enjoy the experience and are glad they came!
Open Circle's Spring Cleanse is starting soon! If you are considering joining us, read more about it below and let us know soon so we can sign you up and help you get started! There is no cost to join besides the supplements & tea which are strongly recommended but not required!
WHY CLEANSE THE LIVER?
The liver is the body's natural filtration system, converting toxins into waste products, cleansing the blood and metabolizing medications and nutrients into essential proteins. Alcohol, processed foods, medications, stress & lack of exercise can burden the liver leading to symptoms such as bloating, reflux, constipation, difficulty losing weight, high blood pressure, anxiety/depression, chronic fatigue and more. Springtime is the season of the Wood Element which is ruled by the Liver & Gall Bladder. It’s a time of rebirth and starting fresh. By eating lighter and cleansing the excesses of the winter season, you are attuning yourself to the rhythms of nature.
BASIC LIVER CLEANSE PROTOCOL
FOODS THAT CLEANSE THE LIVER:
SELF-CARE SUGGESTIONS DURING YOUR CLEANSE:
Why You Should Consider a Liver Cleanse this Spring!
First of all, congratulations! You made it to March of 2022 and it's ALMOST springtime! Can we all agree that it's been a looong winter, and a long past two years. Raise your hand if you feel tired, overworked, more stressed than you usually do and in need of a re-set. Also raise your hand if you are still eating a bit too much, drinking a bit too much and moving your body not quite enough! If you raised your hand to any of these, then you should consider a spring-time liver cleanse!
In the winter, we naturally slow down, and eat more filling foods. When life is stressful like it's been during these covid-times, we might fill that stress with sweets, alcohol, just comfort carbs in general, or anything else we can get our hands on. What happens then, is that not only does weight add up, but inflammation and stagnation can accumulate as well. Both of those can increase aches & pains, digestive upset, anxiety, sleep issues and more. The good news is, that the antidote is cleaning out the body by dialing back on those unhealthy choices and adding some simple foods, beverages, herbs & supplements that can undo all of the issues that may have surfaced. Remember, your body is naturally designed to heal itself and it's always working hard to do so, but if we work WITH the body, instead of against it, then amazing health & mood transformations can occur! A cleanse is an opportunity to give your body a break and allow the self-healing & self-cleansing process to kick into gear.
Ok so why does the liver need a cleanse you ask? The liver is the body's natural filtration system, converting toxins into waste products, cleansing the blood and metabolizing medications and nutrients into essential proteins. While certain things like alcohol, heavy foods & medications can burden the liver, other things like green smoothies, lemon water and a plant-based diet can support it's optimal function! The liver is ALWAYS cleansing, so we are not trying to make it happen, just supporting it by lightening the toxic load from the body!
Another way we need cleanse in through the bowels. Remember, if you are not pooping, you are not cleansing! Healthy regular movement of the bowels is essential to our health and to the release of impurities from the body. When your body detoxifies impurities from the liver and gall bladder, they are sent into the intestinal tract to be released from the body via our daily bowels movements. So, if things are feeling stuck or stagnant, make sure you are hydrating VERY well! Warm water with lemon first thing in the morning can work wonders (combining it with a a healthy fat like extra virgin olive oil is even better!). Also, increase your fiber intake, and specifically the insoluble fiber that passes through the digestive tract supporting healthy bowels. Examples of insoluble fiber are ground flax seeds, wheat bran/germ, beans, whole grains, green beans, apples & pears with the skin on, plus many more veggies!
So hopefully I've convinced you that spring cleansing is a good idea! Now I hope you will join us as we do a week long cleanse together! Open Circle Acupuncture is hosting a week long liver cleanse from Monday April 4th, 2022 until Monday April 11th! Often spring cleanses continue for 2-3 weeks, so we will do a week together and if you are feeling motivated to continue, then please do!
Stay tuned, my next blog will have all of the details of our cleanse including daily practices and suggested supplements & detox teas! If you would like to sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be well and happy spring!
"The natural healing force in each one of us is the greatest force in getting well" -Hippocrates
1. It’s Natural: If you are getting tired of going into your child’s doctor’s office and walking out with another prescription, you might be feeling ready for a more holistic approach. Acupuncture initiates and strengthens the body’s innate ability to heal itself. We also work with nutrition, herbs, supplements and more, to help your child heal naturally!
2. It Doesn’t Hurt: Acupuncture treatments for young children often involve gentle non-insertive acupressure techniques that can powerfully treat many different conditions. When actual needles are used they are almost ALWAYS completely pain-free because these needles are so much thinner than any you’ve seen before.
3. It Treats Many Different Conditions: We’ve treated children successfully for many conditions including anxiety, sleep issues, ADHD, digestive disorders, allergies, headaches and more!
4. It Strengthens the Immune System & Prevents Future Illness: Prevention is always easier than treating a problem that’s already showing symptoms. Acupuncture works to heal the root causes of your child’s issues so that they don’t just get well but stay that way!
5. It’s FUN and RELAXING: Most of our kids really love coming for their acupuncture treatments. We will only try acupuncture needles with your child’s consent and if they feel completely comfortable. We will never trick them into trying acupuncture! It’s enjoyable, relaxing and a time for them to get our undivided attention. Plus, it helps them feel better and who wouldn’t like that?!
"The best and most efficient pharmacy, is within your own system."